The tale of Jon Snow is not yet complete, and already he is becoming the stuff of legend. But the path to total badass was not easy; it was full of mountains, valleys, triumphs, and tragedies. Jon's story is that of friendship, loyalty, love, betrayal, sacrifice, and destiny.
But before I can tell you that story, I have to tell you this story...
A Savior is Born
Every legendary hero has to have even a badass story of how they were born, and Jon Snow is no exception.
During the war, the Mad King's son, the EQUALLY EVIL Prince Rhaegar Targaryen had kidnapped the fair, beautiful, and innocent Lady Lyanna Stark, Robert's one true love, and kept her at the Happy Tower in Dorn. Lyanna's ever-so-brave brother Ned, along with his company of brothers, set out to rescue her. When they got to the tower, they squared off in an epic battle against a crew of knights led by the absolutely incompetent Arthur Dain (a.k.a. the Dumbest Knight in the Universe); Ned and some other guy were the only survivors.
Inside the tower, Ned found his sister lying on a bed bleeding after just giving birth. Knowing she was already gone, Lyanna made her brother promise her to keep a secret with him: she had a kid. Whispering in his ear, she told him the boy's name was Aeris and that Robert would have the boy killed if he knew about this. Ned renamed the boy Jon, took him back to Winterfell, and made up a lie about himself cheating on Katlin with some other girl. Stripping his official honor out of love for his sis. Now that's true honor right there.
Jon Snow grew up in Winterfell with his uncle, aunt, and cousins, thinking they were his dad, stepmom, and half-siblings. Because he was labeled a bastard, he was not allowed to eat with his "family" at the dinner table.
Now the Hero's Journey Truly Begins
To be added.
While it was secret that Jon Snow's mother was Lyanna Stark, the identity of his father is a mystery. Since Ned promised his little sister to protect her child, he lied to everybody else about cheating on Katlin during Robert's Rebellion. There are many theories, hypotheses, questions, and much speculation about Jon Snow's parentage, several of which are listed below.
A + L = J
There is a good possibility that Jon Snow is the son of Sir Arthur Dain, the Dumbest Knight in the Universe. There are two ways this is possible: either Sir Dain was guarding the Happy Tower to protect the already-pregnant girl who he'd banged earlier, or he banged her in the tower 9 months before he died. Either way, if this theory is true, and Jon Snow's real name is Aeris Dain, then Ned would be a real asshole for stealing the son of the man his buddy just killed. Dishonourable!
It is also possible that Jon Snow's father might be Snow, as the two do share the same last name.
R + L = J
The most popular theory is the idea that Jon Snow's father is the one and only Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, the oldest son of The Mad King. During peacetime, Ned would often tell his kids that Rhaegar was known to flirt with Lyanna quite a lot. If this is true, then the infamous story of Rhaegar kidnapping her doesn't add up. It'd make a lot more sense if they had an affair, ran away together to the Tower of Joy, and Rhaegar got her prengant there. After all, Ned was specifically told that if Robert would have the kid killed if he found out about this. This clearly suggests that Rhaegar is Jon's father, and his full name is Aeris Targaryen III. If this is true, then not only does this mean Ned Stark the most honorable bro in Westerosi history, but this would also make Jon Snow the nephew of Daenerys Targaryen and thus the second most rightful heir to the Iron Throne.
Though another baby was not shown onscreen, it is possible that R + L doesn't only = J, but = J & M. The M stands for Meera Reed, who is believed to be Howland Reed's daughter. However, Howland was with Ned at the Tower of Joy, which meant he had to keep the secret as well. It'd be very fitting if Jon Snow also had a twin (Meera), and Ned and Howland each took a twin separately to raise them on their own.
- Sam Tarly: Jon's trustworthy best friend and on-and-off sidekick.
- Ghost: Jon's pet direwolf.
- Edd: Jon's other best friend, who always takes Jon's posts in his absence.
- Gren: Jon's other companion during his first trip North of the Wall.
- Ygritte: Jon's Wildling sidekick and girlfriend.
- Tormund: A badass Wildling known for always going berserk.
- 1-1: He is a giant, and he kicks lots of ass. That is all.
Jon Snow is Westeros’s embodiment of chaotic good. He is always caring for his comrades and is willing to do the right thing at all times. Unlike his peers, Jon is willing to get to know and understand strangers, which comes handy with the deals between the Night’s Watch and the Wildlings.
Powers & Abilities
- Power of Friendship: Jon always looks after his Crew and his comrades at arms. His Crew has his back when no one else does, too.
- Power of the Plot: If your ever worried about Jon Snow's safety, just remember the words of Sam Tarly: "Jon Snow always comes back."
- Intelligence: Jon Snow knows everything. But don't tell Ygritte.
- Stubbornness: Jon Snow has withstood liver shots, having his face slammed on an anvil without breaking his nose or losing any teeth, getting thrown through a fireplace with no burns, falling down two floors, falling off his horse, and nearly getting trampled by a stampede.
- Valyrian Steel: Jon Snow has his own sword, Longclaw, made of this substance. Like all stuff made of Valyrian Steel, Longclaw has the power to SMITE THE OTHERS TO THE GROUND!!!